Re: wanted: error-correcting C parser

"Zerksis D. Umrigar" <umrigar@cs.binghamton.edu>
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 06:47:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
wanted: error-correcting C parser keller@trurl.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (1995-02-13)
Re: wanted: error-correcting C parser umrigar@cs.binghamton.edu (Zerksis D. Umrigar) (1995-02-15)
Re: wanted: error-correcting C parser grosch@cocolab.sub.com (1995-02-18)
Re: wanted: error-correcting C parser parrt@parr-research.com (Terence John Parr) (1995-02-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: "Zerksis D. Umrigar" <umrigar@cs.binghamton.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 06:47:27 GMT

keller@trurl.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Robert E. Keller) writes:

>I'm looking for a parser which understands C (preferably ANSI-C)
>(or some "reasonable" subset) and which, if it encounters a syntax
>error, delivers a set of all those tokens/symbols which are correct

I don't know if this helps, but bison has an option to call yyerror() with
"verbose" error messages on a parse error --- the error messages specify the
set of tokens (upto a max. cardinality) which could have been shifted at the
point of error detection.

Also any parser generator which uses an error-correction scheme similar to
that outlined by Rohrich, "Methods for the Automatic Construction of Error
Correcting Parsers", Acta Informatica 13, 115-139 (1980) may satisfy your
requirements. I believe that the LALR generator distributed with cocktail
does use this algorithm (I've never actually used it). Unfortunately, I
can't tell you exactly where to get cocktail. I obtained it from a site
somewhere in Europe some time ago, but don't recall the name of the site. A
README file I found on gatekeeper.dec.com mentions a ftp site
ftp.karlsruhe.gmd.de (192.76.241.33) /pub/cocktail, but I was unable to
connect to it right now. You could also try sending email to the author of
the cocktail toolkit: grosch@karlsruhe.gmd.de

-zerksis umrigar
umrigar@cs.binghamton.edu