Re: Looking for C declaration parser

kik@ironwood.cray.com (Krishna Ksheerabdhi)
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 19:22:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Looking for C declaration parser lehotsky@max.tiac.net (1995-02-06)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser agesen@Xenon.Stanford.EDU (1995-02-06)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser flisakow@cae.wisc.edu (1995-02-06)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser vinall@VNET.IBM.COM (1995-02-07)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser rankin@eql.caltech.edu (1995-02-07)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser kik@ironwood.cray.com (1995-02-08)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser probertm@ariz.library.ucsb.edu (1995-02-11)
Re: Looking for C declaration parser jejones@microware.com (1995-02-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kik@ironwood.cray.com (Krishna Ksheerabdhi)
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 19:22:02 GMT

-> There used to be a program called 'explain' that read C declarations
-> and "explained them". I went looking in the uunet archives and
-> couldn't find anything appropriate. Anybody else got ideas?

Well, I dont know of a tool, but there is a little article in one of
the SIGPLAN notices (within the last couple of years, does anybody
recall?) by Mody wherein he mentions a systematic scheme for parsing
(actually reading) and interpreting C declarations. If you dont find a
tool that would be a nice starting point. I recall it being
comprehensive, and at most a couple of pages, so I am not pointing you
to an unreadable and long semantics article;-)

Cheers,
Ksheerabdhi Krishna

Cray Research, Inc. Phone: (505) 988-2468 (x28)
Santa Fe, NM 87501 e-mail: kik@cray.com