Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together...

chs@cs.uoregon.edu (Craig H. Smith)
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 23:06:26 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Teaching compilers and programming languages together... aronov@ziggy1.poly.edu (1995-01-10)
Teaching compilers and programming languages together... ssimmons@convex.convex.com (1995-01-23)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... djohnson@seuss.ucsd.edu (1995-01-24)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... eifrig@beanworld.cs.jhu.edu (1995-01-25)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... markta@aol.com (1995-01-26)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (1995-01-30)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il (Ehud Lamm) (1995-02-03)
Re: Teaching compilers and programming languages together... chs@cs.uoregon.edu (1995-02-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: chs@cs.uoregon.edu (Craig H. Smith)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 23:06:26 GMT

Ehud Lamm <mslamm@pluto.mscc.huji.ac.il> writes:

>It is indeed a good question, wether it is a good idea to show
>compilation and parsing techniques using features of unique programming
>languages. SNOBOL and Icon for example give the programmer tools that may
>help him craft a simple compiler fast - but these are not the general
>methods usually taught.
>Should we concentrate on the theory - teaching the general algorithms
>from the Dragon book - or can we focus on relatively "fringe" approaches,
>which may help the students grasp the beauty of compiling?

This could also depend on how long the class is. If it is a relative
short duration then I would tone down on the theory, and try to get
them "hooked" with, what you might call, the beauty of compilation.

UofO runs on a quarters system. When Professor Clinger was here he
taught two classes for compilers: one for theory and another geared to
implementing. That could be another option time permitting.

(raig
Craig Smith
Graduate Student Carpe A Cappellam
University of Oregon