Wanted:Refs to optimizing by using run-time info

Mikael Degermark <Mikael.Degermark@sm.luth.se>
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:00:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted:Refs to optimizing by using run-time info Mikael.Degermark@sm.luth.se (Mikael Degermark) (1995-01-31)
Re: Wanted:Refs to optimizing by using run-time info hbaker@netcom.com (1995-02-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Mikael Degermark <Mikael.Degermark@sm.luth.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 19:00:43 GMT

I want references to articles about the following subject:

I recall reading in this newsgroup about optimizing by first compiling,
then running the program while collecting information about its
runtime behaviour and finally feeding both the program and
the run-time info to the compiler when producing the final code.

The idea is that the compiler can do a better job if it knows more about
the run-time behaviour.

This might have been some years back, I cannot recall.

Please respond to

Mikael Degermark email: micke@sm.luth.se
Dept of Computer Science tel: +46 920 911 88
University of Luleå fax: +46 920 721 91
S-971 87 Luleå, Sweden www: http://www.sm.luth.se/~micke
[I know Multiflow did that, and it wasn't new then. -John]