Re: XVT?

michael@vertigo.bc.ca (J. Michael Dyck)
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 05:05:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
XVT? wjohnson@glue.umd.edu (1995-01-23)
Re: XVT? thutt@clark.net (1995-01-23)
Re: XVT? michael@vertigo.bc.ca (1995-01-27)
Re: XVT? piet.wauters@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (1995-01-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: michael@vertigo.bc.ca (J. Michael Dyck)
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 05:05:14 GMT

Bill Johnson (wjohnson@jei.umd.edu) wrote:
> Someone recommended using XVT to develop applications because
> it could compile the code for Mac, PC and Unix.

XVT doesn't compile code, it's an "application framework" or
"portability toolkit", which provides you with (C or C++) routines to
construct and manage a program's graphical user interface (menus,
buttons, dialogs, etc). The `portability' point is that the same set of
routines is implemented for various platforms. So (theoretically), you
write one set of platform-independent code that calls these routines,
then copy it to each platform you're targetting, recompile, and link
with the platform-specific toolkit library.

There are lots of these toolkits on the market. If you want one that
supports Unix platforms, that reduces the field somewhat. Here are a
few, roughly in order of decreasing cost:

Galaxy from Visix Software
Open Interface Elements from Neuron Data
XVT from XVT Software
zApp from Inmark
Zinc from Zinc Software

Look for ads in "Dr Dobb's Journal" and "Software Development".

Last time I asked, XVT was about $2000 each for Mac and Windows NT
platforms, and about $6000 each for Unix platforms.

- Michael Dyck, michael@vertigo.bc.ca