where can i find a cross compiler for i860

arnold@cs.rug.nl (Arnold Meyster)
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:43:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
where can i find a cross compiler for i860 arnold@cs.rug.nl (1995-01-23)
Re: where can i find a cross compiler for i860 przemek@rrdjazz.nist.gov (1995-01-24)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: arnold@cs.rug.nl (Arnold Meyster)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 23:43:14 GMT

At the department of computing science of the university of Groningen in
the Netherlands we built a parallel computer consisting of 8 i860
processors. This machine is hosted by an i486 PC.

Initially we used SCO-unix on this host machine, but now we use Linux.
Using SCO-unix we had the availability of an i860 cross C-compiler.
Unfortunately, this compiler does not run using Linux, since SCO unix and
Linux are not binary compatible, so it is not possible to compile on the
host-PC anymore. Therefore we are in need of an gcc cross compiler which
runs on an Linux based 486 PC and generates i860 code in COFF format. Does
anyone know where to find this?

I found that it is possible to generate i860 assembly using the current
version of gcc although I heard rumours that this assembly is unreliable.
Is this true?

The funny thing is that I cannot find a gas to convert the assembly files
into object files. I cannot imagine that people ported the compiler, but
did not port the assembler, since assembly files are pretty useless.

BTW, any other free C-compiler is fine too, though I don't expect that
it is lying around somewhere.

Any help appreciated,

Kind regards,

      drs. Arnold Meyster