Re: shared library

scisoft@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Boucher)
Mon, 2 Jan 1995 18:25:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
shared library burg@ping.at (1994-12-29)
Re: shared library scisoft@well.sf.ca.us (1995-01-02)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.sys.sun.misc
From: scisoft@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Boucher)
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 18:25:12 GMT

Walter Burgstaller (burg@ping.at) wrote:
: I worked with Sun C++ 3.0.1 on SunOS 4.1.3
: I compiled all files with option -pic (about 450 files)
: During linking the following output was created
: ld: GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE overflown : need to use -PIC

-pic allows 8K symbols, while -PIC allows more than 8K, perhaps 32K.
-PIC generates larger code that runs slower. You have so many symbols
that you need to use -PIC to use the larger symbol set. You must compile
all of your modules with -PIC rather than with the -pic.

    - Mike.Boucher@scisoft.com