Re: Problem with infinite left-recursion...

jjan@cs.rug.nl (Beeblebrox)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 08:46:57 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Problem with infinite left-recursion... cbs@ascinc.com (1994-12-12)
Re: Problem with infinite left-recursion... jjan@cs.rug.nl (1994-12-14)
Re: Problem with infinite left-recursion... tophat!mauney@uunet.uu.net (1994-12-14)
Re: Problem with infinite left-recursion... davidm@Rational.COM (1994-12-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jjan@cs.rug.nl (Beeblebrox)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 08:46:57 GMT

Casper Stoel (cbs@ascinc.com:
> I have a problem with left-recursion in my grammar. I am wondering if
> there is a 'standard' way of breaking the recursion? Is there an easy
> way of breaking up the rule into multiple rules?

There is! Let's say you have a grammar rule: E -> E + T and E -> T
Standard way to get rid of the leftrecursion (so as to be able to write
a topdown recursive descent parser for instance) is:
    E -> T X with X a new nonterminal with productions
    X -> + T X
    X ->
Sometimes (topdown) parsergenerators can handle the following construct,
thereby avoiding the above introduction of a new nonterminal:
    E -> T ( + T ) SEQUENCE OPTION
meaning, an E is a T, followed by zero or more occurrences of +T.

--
Jan Jongejan email: jjan@cs.rug.nl
Dept. Comp.Sci.,