Re: Algorithm for Structurizing

tleylan@aloha.com
Wed, 7 Dec 1994 04:43:40 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Algorithm for Structurizing jlapp@nova.umd.edu (1994-12-04)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing donawa@bnr.ca (chris (c.d.) donawa) (1994-12-09)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing kik@zia.cray.com (1994-12-05)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing danhicks@aol.com (1994-12-06)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-07)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-11)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-13)
Re: Algorithm for Structurizing tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.c,comp.programming
From: tleylan@aloha.com
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 04:43:40 GMT

Joe Lapp <jlapp@nova.umd.edu> wrote:

>I would like to be able to structurize gobs of messy C code

Joe: I'm far from the expert in compiler matters but as a C and ASM
programmer I doubt that large chunks of code can be restructured in any
meaningful way through automation. The trouble is one of recognizing
what the goal is rather than a straight interpretation of what the code
currently does.

Profiling can pinpoint usage and timing problems and a modern compiler
can recognize unused variables and stuff but I don't see how a computer
program would recognize say 40 lines of messy C code could be replaced by
a single call to something in the standard C library.

I've done this kind of clean up on code written in a number of languages
and I've always done it with a very good programmer's editor and a
handful of utilities to search the code for patterns.

tom