Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension.

steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (Steve_Kilbane)
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 09:43:19 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. mosh@ramanujan.cs.albany.edu (1994-11-21)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-11-30)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. ruiter@ruls41.fsw.leidenuniv.nl (1994-12-01)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. rockwell@nova.umd.edu (1994-12-03)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. lloyd@kauri.vuw.ac.nz (1994-12-05)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. pwk@eb.ele.tue.nl (1994-12-05)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-12-05)
Re: Extending REG-EXP to 2-Dimension. bakul@netcom.com (1994-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (Steve_Kilbane)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 09:43:19 GMT

Although I've often wished for this facility, I've never actually bothered
to think about what it involves before, so if I sound naive, that's my
excuse. :-)

It seems to me that the first problem is "what would a user expect this
to do?" The suggested "circles of text" seems fairly useless from a user's
perspective. I'd expect a user to be looking for something like one of:

- a single regexp that matches in one or more lines, i.e. there is one
    match of the regexp for each line.
- a sequence of regexps, that can be matched to lines. The nth regexp
    matches the nth line.
- a single regexp that matches the block of text, if that block of text
    is first transformed into a "single" line (whether you treat newlines
    a significant is optional here, I guess).

You can then further refine the semantics - in the first option, should
should all matches be the same as the first, or should any match do?

Once you've got a definition that the user could work with, *then* it
seems like a good idea to worry about the implementation.

steve
--
<Steve_Kilbane@cegelecproj.co.uk>