Re: executables

johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Sun, 4 Dec 1994 03:31:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-11-30)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-03)
Re: executables johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-12-04)
Re: executables fastyeald@cix.compulink.co.uk (1994-12-06)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-07)
Re: executables bob@cs.adelaide.edu.au (1994-12-08)
Re: executables htak@eskimo.com (1994-12-08)
Re: executables tleylan@aloha.com (1994-12-09)
Re: executables: COFF c2a192@ugrad.cs.ubc.ca (1994-12-11)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 03:31:55 GMT

<tleylan@aloha.com> wrote:
>I can run Clipper compiled .OBJ files through MS link, TLINK, PLINK86,
>Blinker (real and protected modes) ummm Causeway (protected mode linker),
>if I could write something that linked by any one of them I'd consider
>that an accomplishment.

It all depends on what sort of stuff you're trying to do. If it's just the
plain old 'simple' stuff then Intel's .obj 'document' and using something
like Borland's tdump.exe should be all that you need (well, that and some
time and elbow grease :-). If you're trying to link your stuff in with MS
or Borland generated code then you'll need to get information from them
about their .obj 'extensions' (probably the same for other compilers too
but I've no experience with them).

You can use tdump to show you around the layout of existing programs for
ideas and sort of work towards a solution from both ends.

Take care,
John