Compiler positions available for week ending November 13

compilers-jobs@iecc.com
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 13:00:00 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Compiler positions available for week ending November 13 compilers-jobs@iecc.com (1994-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,misc.jobs.offered
From: compilers-jobs@iecc.com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 13:00:00 GMT

This is a digest of ``help wanted'' and ``position available'' messages
received at comp.compilers during the preceding week. Messages must
advertise a position having something to do with compilers and must also
conform to the guidelines periodically posted in misc.jobs.offered.
Positions that remain open may be re-advertised once a month. To respond
to a job offer, send mail to the author of the message. To submit a
message, mail it to compilers@iecc.com.

-------------------------------

From: John Lamping <lamping@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Positions at Xerox PARC, Palo Alto CA
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 17:16:38 PST

The Xerox Palo Alto Research Center has three openings as part of a
project exploring new techniques to make it possible for programmers to
write very high-level, modular code without sacrificing performance.
Our approach is based on domain specific implementation guidance coupled
with advanced general purpose techniques including: meta-level
protocols, partial evaluation, and run-time code generation.

The project methodology is based on collaborating with other PARC
researchers to develop solutions to their specific software development
needs, and then, over time, generalizing those solutions into more
broadly applicable tools and techniques.

We are looking for renaissance computer scientists with experience in
several of the following areas: language techniques such as partial
evaluation, program synthesis and run-time code generation; modern OS
architectures; modern hardware architectures; object-oriented
programming, high-level programming languages (e.g. LISP, SML, etc) and
computational reflection.

While no one candidate will have all of the above skills, all candidates
must have exceptional software building skills; they must be able to
understand and implement complex techniques, and rapidly evolve and
redesign those implementations based on experience with them.
Candidates also need the personal skills required to work with other
researchers who will be making day-to-day use of the systems we will be
developing. One of these positions may involve project management
responsibility as well.

Applicants should send a resume and 2 letters of recommendation to:

email: gregor@parc.xerox.com
FAX: +1 415-812-4334
physical mail: Gregor Kiczales
                              Xerox PARC
                              3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
                              Palo Alto, CA 94304

-------------------------------

From: play10s@ix.netcom.com (Greg Buechler)
Subject: Computer Architect/Performance Analysis - Intel Corporation, Santa Clara
Date: 9 Nov 1994 21:22:43 GMT

The Santa Clara location of Intel Corporation has an exciting
opportunity for an experienced computer architect/performance analyst.
As a member of a small team, this person will participate in the
architectural definition of next generation Intel processors. Initial
focus will be on performance analysis issues and development of tools to
evaluate new architectural features, and the efficiency of code
generated by compilers. We are looking for a skilled individual that
can propose improved methods of evaluating processor architectures, and
can communicate back their analysis to different groups within the
organization.

Skills and Experience Required:

Computer Architecture
Compiler Techniques
Code Generation/Optimization
Application Performance Analysis
Simulation/Performance Analysis Tools

MSCS/EE/CE (or equivalent)
3+ years Experience in computer design, performance analysis or compiler
technology in a commercial - non educational environment.

Please direct responses to myself at:

Greg Buechler greg_buechler@ccm.sc.intel.com
2200 Mission College, Blvd. play10s@ix.netcom.com
SC4-115 gb@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA 95052 408=765-3881 (fax)

Intel Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and fully supports
affirmative action practices. Intel also supports a drug-free workplace
and requires that all offers of employment be contingent on satisfactory
pre-employment drug test results.

-------------------------------

From: conte@aretha.ece.scarolina.edu (Tom Conte)
Subject: Faculty Positions in South Carolina
Date: 10 Nov 1994 01:53:14 GMT

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA
Faculty Positions

The University of South Carolina Department of Electrical and Computer
Engineering seeks exceptional individuals for two AT&T Young
Investigator assistant professor, tenure-track positions. Specific
areas of interest include computer architecture, compiler optimization,
operating systems, and I/O. The positions were made possible by a
gift from AT&T Global Information Solutions.

The ECE Department and the College of Engineering are presently
undergoing a strong period of research and facilities expansion. The
Department offers ABET-accredited bachelor of Computer and Electrical
Engineering degrees, as well as M.E., M.S., and Ph.D. graduate
degrees. The University of South Carolina has an enrollment of 40,000
on all campuses and 26,000 on the main Columbia Campus. Columbia,
the state capital, is a dynamic and diverse community with many
cultural attractions, including the Koger Center for the Performing
Arts, the State Museum, Riverbanks Zoo, several amateur theaters, and
nearby Lake Murray.

Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering,
Computer Engineering or Computer Science. Interested individuals
should submit a resume, a publication bibliography, and the names of
four references by March 1, 1995 to:

AT&T Young Investigator Search Committee
Swearingen Engineering Center
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208

The University of South Carolina provides equal opportunity and affirmative
action in education and employment for all qualified persons regardless
of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or veteran
status.

-------------------------------

From: Rob Beaver <robb@microware.com>
Subject: Compiler job at Microware in Des Moines
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 1994 09:35:33 -0600 (CST)

                                        C++ Compiler Engineering Opportunity

Microware Systems Corporation seeks qualified candidates for the position
of Senior Compiler Software Engineer in our Research and Development
organization located in Des Moines, Iowa. We are looking for a highly
motivated self starter who can join our small close knit group of engineers to
produce and maintain state-of-the-art compilation systems.

Responsibilities will include the design and implementation of a C++
compilation system.

Desired Qualifications:
    - Minimum of a BS in computer science or equivalent combination of
        education and experience.
    - Minimum of 2 years experience developing commercial compiler products
        or commensurate academic experience.
    - Experience developing C++ front-ends and other aspects of C++
        compilation systems.
    - Strong C and C++ language programming ability.
    - Experience with software engineering life cycle processes.

Any additional specialties and interests in the following will be helpful to
the successful applicant:
    - Extensive knowledge in all areas of compilation systems.
    - ISO-9000 or IEEE std 1074.

>From _The_Wall_Street_Journal_ to _Wired_, Microware Systems Corporation is
making the headlines. From interactive television and cellular telephones to
traffic controllers and medical instrumentation, Microware real-time system
software is affecting every aspect of daily life. Microware's OS-9 Real-Time
Operating System has been deployed in millions of high-performance devices
around the world. And Microware's DAVID has become the standard for
interactive television software. Microware is defining the leading edge
because we hire the best and brightest people.

Microware is located in America's Heartland- Des Moines, Iowa. Where quality
of life is paramount. Where high school students have the highest ACT scores
in the country. Where housing is affordable. Where a drive to work takes
just 10 minutes. It is an ideal setting for creating software that pushes
the envelope.

Now, Microware is looking for more of the best and brightest to help us
continue to define the leading edge. Microware offers a very attractive
compensation package; including a competitive salary, major health care
coverage, and a 401(k) plan. Plus, Microware offers a stimulating, challenging,
yet casual environment.

If you are a computer professional looking for an unusual challenge in a
city with a high quality of life and a low cost of living, send your resume
with salary history in writing (no e-mail applications accepted) to:

Human Resources Administrator
Microware Systems Corporation
1900 NW 114th St
Des Moines, IA 50325-7077

Microware Systems Corporation is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer.

-------------------------------

From: j_mcarthur@BIX.com (Jeffrey McArthur)
Subject: WEB TeX -> MWeb TeX -> OWeb TeX programmers wanted
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 00:21:58

The company I work for is considering a major undertaking. We would like
to create a multi-threaded version of TeX. The approach we would like to
take is to convert the WEB (Pascal) version of TeX into a MWEB (Modula-2)
of TeX, and from there move to OWEB (Oberon or Oberon-2 WEB which currently
does not yet exist).

To do this we would need programmers who are well versed in WEB, Pascal,
Modula-2 and Oberon. The first target platform would be OS/2. To
completely control development it may be necessary to implement our own
version of an Oberon (or Oberon-2) compiler. Knowledge of compiler
construction and OS/2 are also needed.

We need to know if we can find people who could undertake this challanging
task. If you would be interested in working on this project I would like
to hear from you.
----
        Jeffrey M\kern-.05em\raise.5ex\hbox{\b c}\kern-.05emArthur
        a.k.a. Jeffrey McArthur email: j_mcarthur@bix.com
        home: (410) 290-6935