Re: AutoCad BNF?

Paul Robinson <PAUL@tdr.com>
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 00:14:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
AutoCad BNF? gearman@charlie.ece.scarolina.edu (1994-11-08)
Re: AutoCad BNF? PAUL@tdr.com (Paul Robinson) (1994-11-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Paul Robinson <PAUL@tdr.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 1994 00:14:18 GMT

"Michael A. Gearman" <gearman@charlie.ece.scarolina.edu>, writes:

PR> Does anyone out there know where I could find a BNF for AutoCad,
PR> specifically the entities sub-section of the .dxf file?

It's funny, I was just looking for something like that on Wednesday, and
found it.

There are two forms of the .dxf file format; ASCII and binary. Assuming
you are referring to ASCII format, the general format of a DXF file is a
set of headers, then descriptions, where each description is followed by
a number indicating what the data type of the line that follows is, e.g.
integer, real, string, or other information.

The DXF format is supposed to be described in the Autocad manuals.

There are also two competing books which are titled as "Encyclopedia of
Graphic File Formats" or some name similar to that. The two each contain
DXF format information; Border's Books on 18th St. in Washington, DC had
one for $35 and the other had a CD Rom with "over 2000 sample files each
in MS DOS, Windows, Macintosh and Unix formats," for $59.00.

Both books were very nice, but too expensive for me to purchase just for
information; if I could have afforded it, I would have bought them myself.
You could ask the store to check and see if the information is in the
manuals.

---
Paul Robinson - Paul@TDR.COM
[Your moderator shamelessly points out that the other book was almost
certainly "Graphics File Formants, 2nd Edition" by Dave Kay and John Levine
(that's me), Windcrest, ISBN 0-07-034025-0, but it should have cost $27
unless they had the hardbound library edition. We have a 25 page chapter on
DXF but the description is in prose, not a formal grammar. -John]