Re: Back End Generators & lcc

drh@hart.Princeton.EDU (Dave Hanson)
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 03:06:47 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Back End Generators heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM (John Heron) (1994-10-12)
Re: Back End Generators Peter.Damron@Eng.Sun.COM (1994-10-18)
Re: Back End Generators & lcc drh@hart.Princeton.EDU (1994-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: drh@hart.Princeton.EDU (Dave Hanson)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 1994 03:06:47 GMT

Peter.Damron@Eng.Sun.COM (Peter C. Damron) writes:
>These "peephole optimizer" code generators are the major "competitor" to
>the tree pattern matching code generators. Each has its advantages and
>disadvantages.

>I believe that "lcc" by Fraser and Hanson (?) is based on this technology.

lcc's code generators use tree pattern matching, and they are produced
by an lcc-specific variant of iburg. The details are in our book
`A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation,' which will be
published this Dec. by Benjamin/Cummings (ISBN 0-8053-1670-1).
See http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc for more info about lcc.

Dave Hanson