Re: ANSI C grammar "pointer" production

arthur@access.digex.net (Arthur Watson)
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 22:27:38 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ANSI C grammar "pointer" production sgollery@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu (Steven Gollery) (1994-10-12)
Re: ANSI C grammar "pointer" production arthur@access.digex.net (1994-10-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: arthur@access.digex.net (Arthur Watson)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 22:27:38 GMT

Steven Gollery <sgollery@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu> wrote:
>Every ANSI-C grammar I've found on the net has a production like this
>pointer
> : '*'
> | '*' type_specifier_list
>They appear to allow token strings like:
> * int

It should be "type_qualifier_list", not "type_specifier_list".
It allows token strings like:
                * const

The 2nd edition of Kernighan and Ritchie's _The C Programming Language_
gives the type of annotated grammer you ask about as appendix A.
You can navigate it using the index -- for example, looking up
"type specifier" should verify the above information.

--
Arthur Watson
arthur@access.digex.net