Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators

Charles Fiterman <cef@geodesic.com>
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 13:11:04 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators heronj@smtplink.NGC.COM (John Heron) (1994-10-05)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators andand@csd.uu.se (Anders Andersson) (1994-10-06)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators leichter@zodiac.rutgers.edu (1994-10-06)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators morrison@hal.cs.uiuc.edu (1994-10-07)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators johnl@cs.indiana.edu (John Lacey) (1994-10-10)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1994-10-10)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators wrs@apple.com (Walter Smith) (1994-10-10)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators cef@geodesic.com (Charles Fiterman) (1994-10-11)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-10-11)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators johnl@cs.indiana.edu (John Lacey) (1994-10-12)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (1994-10-14)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators adrian@platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1994-10-21)
Re: Why separate Lexical & Parser Generators hbaker@netcom.com (1994-10-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Charles Fiterman <cef@geodesic.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 13:11:04 GMT

hagerman@ece.cmu.edu (John Hagerman) writes:
>I disagree, for what is a gross but realistic reason. When comments can
>go anywhere it is really easy to extend the language. Obviously, such
>extension should not occur in any production environment (smiley goes here
>-- c.f. Pascal 6000). But when doing *research* it is nice to (1) have a
>well-established language with a real compiler etc, and (2) still be able
>to extend the language. Pragmas are not sufficient, since the language
>designer can't predict what kind of extensions *I* may want. If it
>weren't for free-ranging comments in the language I am currently working
>with, my research would have been *much* harder.

You ignore reflexive languages like Forth and CLOS. Unless you can
predict every use to which your language will be put you should
always allow its extension. Indeed you can hardly prevent it.
The user can always modify your syntax with a preprocessor and
extend your semantics by calling assembler subroutines. You might
as well cooperate with users instead of fighting them.