Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there?

johnm@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 01:58:23 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? adrian@platon.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk (1994-10-04)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? andrew@bugalugs (1994-10-05)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? rockwell@nova.umd.edu (1994-10-05)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? rfg@netcom.com (1994-10-05)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? thoni@softlab.se (1994-10-05)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? clark@quarry.zk3.dec.com (1994-10-05)
Re: Is there an error correcting parser generator out there? johnm@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-10-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: johnm@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 01:58:23 GMT

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@netcom.com> wrote:
>Basically, syntactic predicates 'solve' the infinite lookahead problem and
>semantic predicates allows context dependent decisions to direct the parse.

>johnm@po.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell) writes:
>One question... _Which_ ``infinite lookahead'' problem??

Ah, sorry for any ambiguity... Terrence thinks of syntactic predicates as
programmer (what's a better term for grammar writer?) defined/specified
'selective backtracking'. I.e., I can handle language constructs that
require potentially unbounded lookahead to resolve which of multiple
candidate parses to take by using a syntactic predicate in ANTLR.

>(You aren't by any chance speaking of C++ are you?)

I wasn't thinking of any particular language. Lot's of languages have
this type of silly constructs (some for good reason but most are, IMO, bad
:-). C++ certainly has so many warts...

Anyway, this is getting off topic so perhaps any further questions about
PCCTS, ANTLR, syntactic predicates, etc. should move to email or over to
comp.compilers.tools.pccts and language bashing :-) can go offline.

Take care,
John