Re: Holub grammar problem?

aldy@andrews.edu
Mon, 3 Oct 1994 22:44:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Holub grammar problem? sgollery@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu (Steven Gollery) (1994-09-30)
Re: Holub grammar problem? aldy@andrews.edu (1994-10-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: aldy@andrews.edu
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 22:44:22 GMT

Steven Gollery <sgollery@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu> wrote:
>I don't see how the grammar can handle local variables with types that
>have been previously defined as typedefs. Holub's lexer returns TTYPE
>when it finds a name that has been typedef'd. Local variable declarations
>use these productions:

There is definitely a problem with the grammar. You can define the
"typedef"s but you cannot use them locally.

I noticed this problem about two years ago, and emailed Holub.
I have included the mail he sent me (quite a while back).

>Date: Tue, 6 Apr 93 10:21:47 -0700
>From: holub@violet.berkeley.edu (Allen Holub)
>To: aldy
>Subject: Re: compiler design in c grammar bug
>
>About the typedef patch. Send me a reminder in a month or so, and I'll
>be happy to do it. -Allen

I reminded him as he told me, but it's been a couple years and I still
wait.

----
Aldy
aldy@andrews.edu
[I've asked Mr. Holub a few times if he has a more complete errata list to
post, but he hasn't answered. I suspect that he's thinking about other
things these days. I certainly would if I were him. -John]