Re: Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report

thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Wed, 28 Sep 1994 02:15:42 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report esr@netaxs.com (1994-09-21)
Re: Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report oz@nexus.yorku.ca (1994-09-26)
Re: Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report duening@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de (1994-09-27)
Re: Retrocomputing Museum Progress Report thutt@clark.net (1994-09-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.lang.misc
From: thutt@clark.net (Taylor Hutt)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 02:15:42 GMT

ozan s. yigit <oz@nexus.yorku.ca> wrote:
>This is good stuff, but while so many people are working on dead
>languages, nobody seems to be working on modern languages that need
>implementation, such as oberon2. There is no free compiler for this
>rather nice oo language. [ETH unfortunately charges for the o2
>compiler]

This is a mistruth. ETH does not charge for the compiler, nor the
operating system -- in object form. If you want the compiler source for
Oberon-2, ETH requires a one-time licensing fee of 1000 SFr for the front
end, and 1000 SFr for a back-end of your choice. They may be purchased
separately.

The license is quite open: primarily you are only prohibited from
redistributing the source code -- other than that, you are basically
free. (more details on the license agreement can be found in the
comp.lang.oberon FAQ).

I am not sure why the person believes Oberon-2 is in such dire need of
implementation; there exists Oberon-2 on (at least) the following
platforms: Intel 80386+ (for MS-DOS (DPMI version & standalone DOS
extender), OS/2, Linux, Windows & Windows NT), SPARC, DEC 3100, Macintosh,
VAX, RS6000 (soon powerPC), Amiga, DEC Alpha and probably more. (some
Oberon-2 versions may not be currently available to the public; for
example, I think Oberon-2 exists on the Mac, but it is not currently
available outside ETH -- due to resource limitations)

Taylor Hutt