Re: Fuzzy parsing info sought

kendall@pot.East.Sun.COM (Sam Kendall - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS)
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 21:19:31 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Fuzzy parsing info sought pollice@centerline.com (1994-08-10)
Re: Fuzzy parsing info sought kendall@pot.East.Sun.COM (1994-08-15)
Re: Fuzzy parsing info sought parrt@everest.ee.umn.edu (Terence Parr) (1994-08-19)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: kendall@pot.East.Sun.COM (Sam Kendall - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 21:19:31 GMT

Hi Gary,

The fuzzy parsers for C++ I know about are the etags program in Emacs
Version 19 (originally derived from Ken Arnold's ctags; C++ support
added by me), and Sniff, a fuzzy-parser-based environment. See Walter
Bischofberger, "Sniff: A Pragmatic Approach to a C++ Programming
Environment", USENIX C++, 1992. For the purposes of fuzzy parsing, C is
a strict subset of C++.

Etags tries only to detect definitions of various entities, and does a
pretty good job. (It has plenty of deficiencies, though, and I don't
plan to fix them since I'm working in the wonderful Modula-3 language.
Any volunteers to add features to etags? If so contact me.) Sniff
claims to find much more, though I've never used it. C++ seems designed
to make parsing as difficult as possible.

----
Sam Kendall
Sun Microsystems Laboratories BOS