Would you like a free C to netlist translator?

chris@lslsun7.epfl.ch (Christian Iseli)
Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:15:02 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Would you like a free C to netlist translator? chris@lslsun7.epfl.ch (1994-08-10)
Re: Would you like a free C to netlist translator? steve@cegelecproj.co.uk (1994-08-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.compilers,comp.lsi.cad,gnu.misc.discuss
From: chris@lslsun7.epfl.ch (Christian Iseli)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 09:15:02 GMT

As a part of the Spyder project (the development of a reconfigurable
processor using FPGAs), a student here has written a compiler that
translates a subset of C (only one data type, functions, for loops and
conditionals) into a netlist for ViewLogic (a wirelist file) but it
should be relatively easy to produce another netlist format. If there
is enough interest, I'd be willing to release the sources of this
compiler under the GNU GPL.

Some work is still needed to make the compiler really usable. In
particular a base library of symbols needs to be created, but that is
neither very long, nor very difficult. I'd say this is an alpha
version...

The only documentation at this time is the student report (in French)
and the source code...

The interest to describe circuitry in C lies, for me, in the fact of
being able to simulate it (or better said, to emulate it) as part of a
larger C++ (or C) program. That's why this compiler came into being.

I'd still have to clean up things a little before releasing this,
that's why I ask if it is worth my time to do it. My hope, if this is
released, is that some other people might be able to improve it so
that it would become a better tool.

So, folks, let's hear from those that are interested!!

--

Christian Iseli
LSL-DI-EPFL