Re: Pentium Compiler?

johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Sat, 30 Jul 1994 18:11:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Pentium Compiler? colem861@cs.uidaho.edu (1994-07-28)
Re: Pentium Compiler? johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (1994-07-30)
Re: Pentium Compiler? tgm@netcom.com (1994-08-01)
Re: Pentium Compiler? hays@ichips.intel.com (1994-08-03)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: johnm@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (John D. Mitchell)
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 1994 18:11:27 GMT

James E Coleman <colem861@cs.uidaho.edu> wrote:
>Basically what I'm looking for is a compiler that will optimize for the
>Pentium Processor. Please do not mistake this for a 486 compiler that will
>run on the Pentium.

Go get the latest version of Watcom's C/C++ development package (v10, if I
recall correctly). They support the Pentium chips as well as the older
chips in the family. I heard somewhere that the latest release of Borland
C/C++ v4.02 supports the Pentium but I don't know if that's true or not.
I've also heard that there is/was a hacked GCC on one of the Intel ftp
sites that was mostly an example of the sorts of things that can be done
to optimize for the Pentium. You might also want to check with Microsoft
and Metaware about their support but I'll refrain from further comments
about either. I'd suggest the Watcom package.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I'm not affiliated with any of the aforementioned companies in
any way other than as a customer in some cases. More opinionated
response can be requested privately through email if you're
really interested in my babbling.