What is MicroFocus doing?

erude@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Erick Rudiak)
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 15:47:09 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
What is MicroFocus doing? erude@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (1994-07-21)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,alt.cobol
From: erude@antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Erick Rudiak)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 1994 15:47:09 GMT

An interesting question for the compiler crowd:

There is a known 'anomaly' in MicroFocus COBOL (I have seen it first-hand
on a Pyramid, but it occurs on other UNIX platforms as well) where the
remainder operation performs miserably. A simple statement such as

DIVIDE I INTO N GIVING N1 REMAINDER REMAIN
END-DIVIDE

performs about 80 -times- slower (no typo: 80 times) than

DIVIDE I INTO N GIVING N1
END-DIVIDE
COMPUTE N2 = I * N1.
COMPUTE REMAIN = N2 - N1

Are they possibly doing repeated subtractions instead of division here?
Are there any other known 'anomalies' in MicroFocus that have surfaced, or
been discovered out there?

Enquiring minds would love to know!
--
Erick Rudiak, erude@nwu.edu