Trellis compiler available

bruno@tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (Bruno Achauer)
Fri, 1 Jul 1994 22:04:27 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Trellis compiler available bruno@tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (1994-07-01)
Trellis compiler available bruno@groucho.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.d (1994-10-27)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.object,comp.lang.misc
From: bruno@tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (Bruno Achauer)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 1994 22:04:27 GMT

The beta release of version 0.1 of the TNT Trellis system is now
available for anonymous ftp from tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de.

Enclosed is ANNOUNCE file from the distribution:

What are Trellis and TNT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trellis is an object-oriented language developed within Digital Equipment
Corp. The language features compile-time type checking, multiple
inheritance, parametrized types, exception handling and iterators.

TNT is a new implementation of Trellis, consisting of a compiler, a
library of predefined types and a (rudimentary) run time system:

    - The compiler implements the language as defined by the reference
        manual (except for a few esoteric constructs), plus a few minor
        extensions.

    - Predefined types are standard types such as integers, strings,
        arrays etc. (in Trellis, no type is built into the language!),
        an IO system and a (rudimentary) hierarchy of collection types.

    - The run time system is pretty incomplete right now; in particular,
        neither garbage collection nor threads are implemented yet.

At present, the system is available for Digital's Alpha and Mips
workstations (running OSF/1 and Ultrix, respectively). Both source code
and prebuilt kits are available.

Ports to several other architectures (SunOS, HP-UX and AIX) are under way;
a Linux port was begun two weeks ago. Further work will concentrate on
supporting transparently distributed objects a la DOWL.

Requirements
~~~~~~~~~~~~

The prebuilt kits require approximately 1.4 MB disk space each; in
addition, you need OSF/1 V1.3 (for the Alpha) or Ultrix 4.3 (for the MIPS)
or later versions. The C compilation system must be installed.

Building the system from scratch requires about 8 MB. You will also need
some auxiliary tools and libraries:

    - Cocktail V9208 (the Karlsruhe Compiler toolbox),
    - SFIO V1.1,
    - GNU make V3.68 or later,
    - patch
    - makedepend

Most of these should be available on a nearby ftp site (makedepend is part
of the X distribution; GNU make and patch are distributed by the FSF, and
SFIO is available form netlib.att.com).

Cocktail is available from several ftp sites, but most of the versions
floating around will not work on the Alpha. A patched version is available
on tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (see below). There's also a
copy of sfio.

If you plan to build the MIPS version, you will also need GCC (at least on
Ultrix 4.3; I haven't checked this on 4.4).

How to get it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A source kit is available via anonymous FTP from

        tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de (129.13.3.200)
        file directory /pub/tnt/tnt-0.1.tar.gz.

There are also some additional kits in the same directory:

        * doc -- PostScript versions of DEC-TR-372 (language
reference manual) and DEC-TR-373 (language primer).

        * prebuilt -- kits for Alpha and Mips.

        * tools -- source kits for Cocktail and SFIO.

Please direct bug reports, requests, comments etc to

        tnt@tk.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de.

Acknowledgements
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The development of TNT has been supported by Digital Equipment's
Campus-based Engineering Center in Karlsruhe.

Special thanks to Jean Fullerton and Lutz Heuser at Digital for
making the technical reports available.

Copyright
~~~~~~~~~

Copyright 1994, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Germany; parts Copyright 1994
Digital Equipment Corp, Maynard, Mass.

The TNT Trellis software, both binary and source (hereafter, Software) is
copyrighted by Universität Karlsruhe, Germany (UKA), and ownership
remains with the UKA. Parts of the software are copyrighted by Digital
Equipment Corp., Maynard, Mass.

The UKA grants you (hereafter, Licensee) a license to use the Software
for academic, research and internal business purposes only, without a
fee. Licensee may distribute the binary and source code (if released)
to third parties provided that the copyright notice and this statement
appears on all copies and that no charge is associated with such
copies.

UKA MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY OF THIS SOFTWARE FOR
ANY PURPOSE. IT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTY. THE UKA SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES SUFFERED BY THE
USERS OF THIS SOFTWARE.

--
--Bruno.