ALGOL 68 compiler insecurities

sph@doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon Hughes)
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 15:00:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
ALGOL 68 compiler insecurities sph@doc.ic.ac.uk (1994-06-29)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: sph@doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon Hughes)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 15:00:56 GMT

Does anyone know of any list of compiler insecurities for System Designers
Ltd.'s ALGOL 68 V1B.00 compiler?

In case anyone's wondering why I should be interested in this, I have to
assess the quality (particularly reliability, maintainability and
useability) of a static analysis tool which was coded in ALGOL 68-RS. In
case anyone's wondering why I should be doing this...

I am involved in an ESPRIT collaborative project called CASCADE, concerned
with the certification and assessment of safety-critical software systems
in the land transport sector. So what's a "static analysis tool" got to
do with this, I hear you cry. Well, the development and assessment of
safety-critical software depends more and more on the use of software
tools to aid the process. If these tools themselves are unreliable then
the systems produced (or even assessed) using them are liable to be
unsafe. Hence the need to assess tools used in the development and
assessment of safety-critical systems.

Email replies would be preferred, to tcssph@aie.lreg.co.uk (not the
address from which this article was sent). I will summarize replies if
two or more people ask me to. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Simon
--
Simon Hughes
Applied Information Engineering Dept., Lloyd's Register of Shipping