"WITH Considered Dangerous" by Wirth?

Paul_Long@ortel.org (Paul Long)
Sat, 25 Jun 1994 17:50:14 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
"WITH Considered Dangerous" by Wirth? Paul_Long@ortel.org (1994-06-25)
re: "WITH Considered Dangerous" by Wirth? jkahrs@mailserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de (1994-06-26)
Re: "WITH Considered Dangerous" by Wirth? thutt@clark.net (1994-06-26)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Paul_Long@ortel.org (Paul Long)
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 1994 17:50:14 GMT

Several years ago, I developed a proprietary language based on Modula-2.
A colleague who had developed a commercial Modula-2 compiler told me that
although Pascal and Modula-2 had a WITH statement, WIrth decided at some
point that it was a bad idea and dropped it from his subsequent languages.
Because of this and because of my own reservations about WITH, I did not
include it in the language I was developing. (There's a good chance you
use programs written in it every day. It's used by telephone companies to
implement call-processing applications.)

Did Wirth really decide that the disadvantages of WITH, e.g., creation of
homonyms, outweigh its advantages, e.g. shorthand and inherent
common-subexpression elimination? What Wirth languages do not have a WITH
statement? Oberon?

Paul_Long@ortel.org