Evaluation software needed

psanchez@ECNET.ec
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 19:15:43 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Evaluation software needed psanchez@ECNET.ec (1994-06-15)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: psanchez@ECNET.ec
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 19:15:43 GMT

Hello,

I need to evaluate some packges/languages that allow me create an
applications with the following specifications:

- the application must be oriented for Windows 3.1 and run in PC's (486,..)
- the pc's will be in network (ethernet, token ring, or any other)
- the server will be a unix with oracle or sybase database
- the language has to be easy and quick to develop, oriented to objects
- allow to display images with high resolution (like photographs) in
    re-adjustable windows
- this app. has to exchange data with server database (i.e. SQL *NET client
    for Oracle will be in pc's)
- Connected to PC, will be different devices to capture images (i.e. photo,
    signs, etc). This devices will save files with these images in the PC and
    send some data to app. Then, I need that the app. can receive information
    from developed programs in other languages
- the language has to manage some image formats, specially JPEG, if is
    possible.
- Some PC's will use communication programs (dial-modems), this programs
    could be developed in the same language or in other (i.e. C or C++).

I am thinking in Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, ObjectView, etc, but I don't
know what is the better for this case. I need several parameters with the
to whom I be able to evaluate each product. In addition, characteristics
of each one if is possible.

Any suggestions or information I would appreciate.

Thanks in advance.