Re: Help sought about conferences

preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 13:37:34 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help sought about conferences pager@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (1994-06-13)
Re: Help sought about conferences preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (1994-06-13)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@noel.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 1994 13:37:34 GMT

pager@uhunix2.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Pager) writes:
>I would be grateful for any information (preferably via email)
>about conferences which accept papers on compilers or computer languages.

There are several. The two big ones, in my opinion, are PLDI and POPL.

    Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI)

A variety of papers, tending towards practical.
Used to be Compiler Construction.

Late June, abstracts due in November.
This year, June 20-24 in Orlando.

    Principles of Programming Languages (POPL)

More theoretical. Plenty of language design
(think type theory and denotational semantics)
Occasional papers on analysis or optimization.
They're trying to diversify.

Late January, abstracts due in July.
This year, due July 22nd, conference in Portland (I think)

More specialized conferences include:

        Lisp and Functional Programming (LFP or L&FP)

A nice mix of theory and implementation,
obviously emphasizing Lisp and friends.

Early July

        Object-Oriented Programing Systems, Languages, and Applications (OOPSLA)

I call this one "more specialized", but it's enormously
popular and well attended.

October

In addition, there are often compiler papers in related conferences

        Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Systems (ASPLOS)

        Supercomputing

        International Conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation
        Techniques (PACT)

plus a variety of workshops in the US and Europe.

>How can one keep oneself posted about forthcoming conferences of
>the above kinds?

Join the ACM and SIGPLAN (special interest group on programming
languages). That'll probably get you on most of the mailing lists.
Subscribe to comp.lang.sigplan and comp.compilers.

Preston Briggs