Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC

markt@harlequin.co.uk (Mark Tillotson)
Thu, 26 May 1994 15:38:52 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-21)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC jgmorris+@cs.cmu.edu (1994-05-22)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC wright@asia.cs.rice.edu (1994-05-23)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-05-24)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1994-05-25)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC markt@harlequin.co.uk (1994-05-26)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC jgmorris+@cs.cmu.edu (1994-05-27)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC boehm@parc.xerox.com (1994-05-27)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC chase@Think.COM (1994-05-26)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-31)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC hbaker@netcom.com (1994-05-30)
Re: 'conservative' GC == 'risky' GC boehm@parc.xerox.com (1994-05-31)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: markt@harlequin.co.uk (Mark Tillotson)
Date: Thu, 26 May 1994 15:38:52 GMT

jgmorris+@cs.cmu.edu (Greg Morrisett) wrote:
> Actually, it's just as much of a misnomer to call a copying or mark-sweep
> or tracing garbage collector "accurate" or "non-convservative". It is
> generally uncomputable whether an object is garbage (i.e. is going to be
> accessed in the future or not.) We've grown accustomed to using
> "pointer-reachability" as an approximation as to what must be preserved,
> but this is only a _conservative_ approximation.

If you have a debugger and value-inspector in your system, then
pointer-reachability is what the user wants and expects, because the user
view is of a graph of nodes, not purely the semantics of the original
program....

Maybe a separate space-leak tool is the answer to uncover unnecessarily
preserved pointers---it is a significantly harder problem to crack than
recycling of disconnected graph nodes. It all depends on one's definition
of "garbage" I suppose, and where you draw the abstraction barrier.

M. Tillotson Harlequin Ltd.
markt@harlqn.co.uk Barrington Hall,
+44 223 873829 Barrington, Cambridge CB2 5RG