SDL interpreter

hdr@unix.bton.ac.uk (Harry Rawlinson)
Thu, 12 May 1994 09:02:16 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SDL interpreter hdr@unix.bton.ac.uk (1994-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hdr@unix.bton.ac.uk (Harry Rawlinson)
Date: Thu, 12 May 1994 09:02:16 GMT

Hi. I'm currently developing an interpreter for a subset of the SDL
standard. My little language features multiple processes with states,
message passing and expressions.

One of the most interesting problems I have come across is how to
represent data internally. Using an Object Oriented model as much as
possible, I have a base class SYMBOL, from which inherits VARIABLE and
ARRAY. Variable contains common functionality for boolean, float, int
etc. Array is the base class for a template class which is used to build
arrays of various types. Type checking for both arrays and variables can
therefore be pushed up to the base SYMBOL class.

Sorry about that rushed description. What it leads to is this question:
Does anyone have a good basic OO model for representing data types that
they would like to share? I am having trouble envisaging how I could
allow new data type constructs in my description language, yet this is
such an important feature of SDL that it can't be overlooked.

Comment welcome,
Henry Rawlinson
Dept. of Computing,
Brighton University.