debuggers for [b]yacc?

hgs@dmu.ac.uk (Hugh Sasse)
Tue, 10 May 1994 14:06:55 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
debuggers for [b]yacc? hgs@dmu.ac.uk (1994-05-10)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: hgs@dmu.ac.uk (Hugh Sasse)
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 14:06:55 GMT

Given the existence of, and need for, debugging tools for languages
such as C I have the following question:

Is there any kind of debugging tool for YACC source [preferably for
byacc -P] because I have never found the y.output file terribly
helpful when I have had things going wrong. When the behaviour is
unexpected I have to plug all sorts of actions into the rules, so I
can trace what is going on. This seems to me as inelegant as filling
a C program with printf()s to see what is happening; it works, but
for high level languages there is a better way [like dbxtool on suns].

I had a look through the list of tools in the free-compilers list,
but could not find anything.

Thank you for any help,

Hugh
[There are a few commercial debuggers, e.g. ydb from Bloomsbury and the one
that comes with MKS yacc. Also there is some stuff in with Roskind's C++
grammar. -John]