Re: compilers, in a nutshell

munk@prl.philips.nl
Tue, 10 May 1994 06:53:13 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
compilers, in a nutshell ellard@endor.harvard.edu (1994-05-09)
Re: compilers, in a nutshell chase@Think.COM (1994-05-09)
Re: compilers, in a nutshell munk@prl.philips.nl (1994-05-10)
Re: compilers, in a nutshell bill@amber.ssd.csd.harris.com (1994-05-11)
Re: compilers, in a nutshell newburn@aslan.ece.cmu.edu (1994-05-12)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: munk@prl.philips.nl
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 06:53:13 GMT

ellard@endor.harvard.edu (Dan Ellard) writes:

>If you had a six hours of lecture time to discuss compilers, what would
>you cover?

I think that is hardly enough time to brush on the subject, but well,
if you have to.

But first, what do the students know when they enter this course?

I consider it important that you say something about the things
compilers work on and with: programs, the programming language and the
underlying model of the language. And also how a compiler deals with
these concepts.

>My current outline (which is very rough) looks like:

I would add:

>Lecture 1
>1. What is a compiler?
1a. Programming languages and the meaning of programs
>2. Lexical analysis
>3. Parsing ...

>Lecture 2
>1. Intermediate representations.
>2. Type checking / inference.
2. Type checking / inference / semantics