Re: Tool Idea - locating software errors

ukola@kastor.ccsf.caltech.edu (Adam Kolawa)
Thu, 28 Apr 1994 20:23:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tool Idea - locating software errors renes@microsoft.com (1994-04-26)
Re: Tool Idea - locating software errors ukola@kastor.ccsf.caltech.edu (1994-04-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ukola@kastor.ccsf.caltech.edu (Adam Kolawa)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 20:23:41 GMT

renes@microsoft.com writes:
>The following information would be logged (to the debugger, a file, etc...)
>for every function call which returns an error without having to manually
>change a line of source code in your project:
> - function type
> - function name
> - function return code
> - source file name
> - source file line number

This functionality is already included in a product that is commercially
available, called Insight. It checks return codes, gives stack traces,
checks function parameters for correct type and range, as well as a host
of memory-corruption related errors.

If anyone is interested, there is a technical paper available on this that
I'd be glad to post or send a copy of. We have both postscript and ascii
available. The name of the document is "Insight - A tool to support Total
Quality Software(tm)"

  Arthur Hicken
  ParaSoft Corporation email: ahicken@parasoft.com
  2500 E. Foothill Blvd. voice: (818) 792-9941
  Pasadena, CA. 91107-3464 fax : (818) 792-0819