Summary - looking for state machine languages

henryg@kullmar.se (Henry Gessau)
Mon, 18 Apr 1994 02:10:45 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Summary - looking for state machine languages peterd@merlin.dev.cdx.mot.com (1994-04-15)
Summary - looking for state machine languages henryg@kullmar.se (1994-04-18)
Re: Summary - looking for state machine languages jvn@fermi.clas.virginia.edu (Julian V. Noble) (1994-04-18)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.lang.misc,comp.protocols.misc,comp.compilers,comp.realtime
From: henryg@kullmar.se (Henry Gessau)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 02:10:45 GMT

(I am following this thread in comp.realtime only, although I see it's cross-
posted to quite a few other groups where there should be people who can give
more info than I can.)

> A while ago I posted a query concerning state machine languages for
> real-time and communications systems. Here's the current list:
>
> Lex
> YACC
> AACC (event-driven parser generator from alt.sources)
> SDL
> Estelle
> Orwell (defunct)
> FSMDL (Dominic Alston's thesis)
> PROMELA
> SDT (similar to SDL)
> Statemate

I hope you don't mean to say that Lex and YACC are "state machine
languages"? Anyway, regarding SDT and SDL:

SDL (Specification and Description Language) is a CCITT recommendation
(i.e. a standard) described in books.

SDT is a tool implementing SDL. It's a CASE tool, you could say. You
write/draw your program in SDL, press a button, and SDT spits out C code
that you can compile. There are also tools for exhaustive testing,
verification, etc. SDT is by Telelogic in Malmö, Sweden.

I have all the info at work - drop me a note if you want to know more.
-- --
Henry Gessau henryg@kullmar.kullmar.se
[Lex generates DFAs, and has indeed been used to implement state systems.
-John]