Re: P-Code and virtual machines

koopman@casun2.res.utc.com (Phil Koopman x1624)
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 15:04:08 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
P-Code and virtual machines ghmilmei@iiic.ethz.ch (1994-03-23)
Re: P-Code and virtual machines pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-03-25)
Re: P-Code and virtual machines koopman@casun2.res.utc.com (1994-03-28)
Re: P-Code and virtual machines rau@slapshot.pa.dec.com) (1994-04-05)
Re: P-Code and virtual machines pardo@cs.washington.edu (1994-04-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: koopman@casun2.res.utc.com (Phil Koopman x1624)
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 1994 15:04:08 GMT

ghmilmei@iiic.ethz.ch (Gerard Henri Rene Milmeister) writes:
>[Books or papers on the instruction set of an interpreter for a
> procedural language? I have experience with stack machines and they
> seem inappropriate for e.g., C.]

Amsterdam, J. (1985) Building a computer in software,
    Byte, October 1985 10(10) 113-118.
This shows how to build a Modula-2 implementation based on a stack
virtual machine. It's one of a multi-part series that I think
also shows how to make the compiler.

Also, Western Digital build a pascal p-code chip set in the late
70's -- presumably there was a decent compiler for that.
Reference: O'Neill, E. (1979) Pascal microengine. In: proc. of
the nineteenth IEEE computer society Int. Conf. (Fall COMPCON 79),
Washington DC, 4-7 September 1979, pp. 112-113

I've also played around with some C-to-stack compilers; much better
efficiency is possible than has been previously implemented in
the "real world". I have a paper demonstrating new techniques
building on Gnu C I can e-mail if you're interested.

--
Phil Koopman koopman@utrc.utc.com (203) 727-1624
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC)