object/load module formats

ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Wed, 16 Feb 1994 13:32:22 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
object/load module formats shaun@rdc31.std.com (Shaun Wilkinson) (1994-02-15)
object/load module formats ssimmons@convex.com (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats sdm7g@elvis.med.virginia.edu (Steven D. Majewski) (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats geoff@fcca.csi.com (1994-02-16)
Re: object/load module formats jprice@cadev5.intel.com (1994-02-19)
Re: object/load module formats brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (1994-02-20)
Re: object/load module formats rfg@netcom.com (1994-02-24)
Re: object/load module formats meissner@osf.org (1994-03-02)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: ssimmons@convex.com (Steve Simmons)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 13:32:22 GMT

> We`re thinking of changing the object/load module format of our cross
> tools. Does someone know about standard/popular object/load module format
> which are suitable for our purpose? (we need their documents, license
> free.) What are the current trends in this area?

There are many formats for an object file interface. The real problem
is what are your requirements:

- How many memory types do you have (BSS, DATA, TEXT, etc..)
- Will you have dynamic linking? Then, you need an easy to
                    access way of resolving addresses at image activation time.
       - Are you going to allowing tracebacks at core dump time
like VMS does??? Then, you need at least a simple nlist.
- Are you going to have debug support and do you plan on
putting it in the executable? If it dbx's stabs, you will
augment the nlist.
- What run time flags need to be set in your executable?
Our C-Series allowed for two modes of floating point
execution (IEEE & native). A bit was set in the header
to state which mode.

The reason for the proliferation of object file formats is that everyone
has a little different set of requirements??