Re: Instr. scheduling text suggestions

andi@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Andi Krall)
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:12:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Instr. scheduling text suggestions miller@sisal.llnl.gov (1994-01-27)
Re: Instr. scheduling text suggestions norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1994-01-30)
Re: Instr. scheduling text suggestions andi@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (1994-01-31)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: andi@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Andi Krall)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:12:10 GMT

miller@sisal.llnl.gov (Patrick Miller) writes:
|> I'll be teaching a graduate compiler course this spring and I would
|> like to spend some time on instruction level scheduling. Things like
|> latency hiding, pipelining, etc...

I hold a lecture in code generation.

As an introduction I presented the architecture of modern RISC processors,
than I used chapter 9 of the dragon book, presented some code generators
(BURG, BEG) and different register allocators (Chaitin, Briggs, priority
based, Coalgulating) followed by instruction scheduling:

[GiMu86] Efficient Instruction Scheduling for a Pipelined Architecture,
Phillip B. Gibbons & Steven S. Muchnick, SIGPLAN 86 Symposium on Compiler
Construction

[Warr90] Instruction scheduling for the IBM RISC System/6000 processor,
H.S. Warren, IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol 34, No. 1., Jan.
1990

[Lam88] Software Pipelining: An Effective Scheduling Technique for VLIW
Machines, Monica Lam, PLDI 88, SIGPLAN, June 1988

[AiNi91] A Realistic Resource-Constrained Software Pipelining Algorithm,
A, Aiken, A. Nicolau, in Advances in Languages and Compilers for Parallel
Processing, Nicolau, Gelernter, Gross and Padua (Editors), MIT Press, 1991

[GoHs88] Code Scheduling and Register Allocation in Large Basic Blocks,
James R. Goodman, Wei-Chung Hsu, International Conference on
Supercomputing, ACM 1988

[FrRu91] Phase Ordering of Register Allocation and Instruction Scheduling,
Stefan M. Freudenberger and John C. Ruttenberg, presented at Code
Generation - Concepts, Tools, Techniques, 1991

[BrEH91] Integrating Register Allocation and Instruction Scheduling for
RISCs, David G. Bradlee, Susan J. Eggers, Robert R. Henry, PLDI 91,
SIGPLAN 91

Hope this helps,
Andi

--