Help on evaluating software development products

ishtar@nova.stanford.edu (chia-ming wang)
Sat, 22 Jan 1994 21:31:48 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Help on evaluating software development products ishtar@nova.stanford.edu (1994-01-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.compilers,comp.software-eng,comp.object
From: ishtar@nova.stanford.edu (chia-ming wang)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 1994 21:31:48 GMT

Our group is currently trying to construct a development environment
using an HP 9000/735, running under HPUX 9.0.1. We were wondering
if anybody out there can comment on the following products:

-Purify
-Object Center and Test Center (from CenterLine)
-Sentinal -- if it exists for the HP.
-Any other programming development environment and run-time
debugger for C++.
-GNU's c++ compiler vs HPCXX.

Some of the things I'd like to know (personally) are:
-How reliable are these products?
-Do they crash often or conflict with the HPUX and give you problems?
-Do you have to constantly contact the companies and pay up the wazoo
  for technical support? Is the technical support knowledgeable, or
  do they give you the runaround?
-Are the manuals obscure and hide a lot of information that you need
  to know?

I'd also appreciate any advise concerning which newsgroup, newsletter,
or magazine would keep me up to date on this kind of info.

Thanks in advance. Please email if possible, I will post summaries.

Chia-Ming Wang