Re: Shoud a subset loop with same header be inner ?

steven.parker@acadiau.ca (Steven E. Parker)
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 20:31:15 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Shoud a subset loop with same header be inner ? viren@wipro.wipsys.soft.net (1994-01-20)
Re: Shoud a subset loop with same header be inner ? steven.parker@acadiau.ca (1994-01-21)
Re: Shoud a subset loop with same header be inner ? cliffc@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1994-01-23)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: steven.parker@acadiau.ca (Steven E. Parker)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 1994 20:31:15 GMT

>viren@wipro.wipsys.soft.net (Virendra Kumar Mehta) writes:

> (1)
> ___
> ---------->/ \<----------
> | \___/ |
> | | |
> | _v_ |
> \__________/ \ (2) |
> \___/ |
> | |
> _v_ |
> (3) / \_________/
> \___/

>This situation will arise, e.g. if there is a 'continue' in a while loop.
>My question is, should the loop {1, 2} be treated as an inner loop, nested
>in the outer loop {1, 2, 3} or should the two loops be treated as same?

I believe that {1,2} should be represented as the inner loop of the above
flowgraph. Node 3 is clearly dominated by node 2. I would also like to
believe that "standard" techniques for determining reduced flowgraphs would
detect this, such as using rP numbering to detect backedges etc., but I must
confess that I have forgotten the details of that code.

What the compiler might want to do in this case is insert a preheader
before node 1, say 0' and change the loop from 3->1 to go from 3->0'. This
would allow the usual optimizations to have a landing pad to move code out
of the innermost loop.

>I doubt if treating {1, 2} as an inner loop will serve much purpose, as we
>can't assume that it will execute a higher number of times than the outer
>loop.

Well in general it may make a difference. I could easily write code with
the dreaded GOTO statement to generate this flowgraph, with invariant code
in the innerloop that would be beneficial to "move out".

Regards,
    -- Steven. (steven.parker@acadiau.ca)