Re: Parallel balanced parenthesis matching

rockwell@nova.umd.edu (Raul Deluth Miller)
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 20:37:03 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Parallel balanced parenthesis matching rockwell@nova.umd.edu (Raul Deluth Miller) (1994-01-16)
Re: Parallel balanced parenthesis matching rockwell@nova.umd.edu (1994-01-18)
Re: Parallel balanced parenthesis matching torbenm@diku.dk (1994-01-19)
Re: Parallel balanced parenthesis matching Jon.Hill@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Jon Hill) (1994-01-20)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers,comp.parallel
From: rockwell@nova.umd.edu (Raul Deluth Miller)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 20:37:03 GMT

I had written:
. Balanced parenthesis matching is a cannonical example of a problem
. outside the scope of regular expressions. Matching is normally
. accomplished using a "FSM" in conjunction with a stack.

Before my mail box gets flooded with helpful suggestions, let me
annotate this a bit. I'm interested in languages with more than one
distinct sets of parenthesis. A simple case might be: ({[]}), a
complex case might be something like SGML. I'm also interested in
catching parsing errors which correspond to sequences which are not a
part of the language.

I apologize for the imprecision.

Thanks,

Raul D. Miller