Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction

preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Thu, 6 Jan 1994 00:55:10 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Object Oriented Compiler Construction drh@world.std.com (1994-01-04)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction knapp@cs.purdue.edu (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction chase@Think.COM (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1994-01-06)
Object Oriented Compiler Construction clark@zk3.dec.com (Chris Clark USG) (1994-01-06)
(fwd) Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction donawa@bnr.ca (chris (c.d.) donawa) (1994-01-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 1994 00:55:10 GMT

>|> It occurs to me that inheritance should be especially useful in the
>|> construction of a parse tree. ...

Sure, no question. But is this an interesting problem?

litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (James Litsios) writes:
>I have a feeling this only works well for simple compilers. On my current
>project I am writing a compiler that does so many transformation of the
>original parse tree that the idea of storing each different type of node
>in a different class (the work is in C++) is simply not practical.
>Instead I use the OO properties of C++ to manipulate generic LISP like
>data structures

I agree, generally. Parse trees just aren't a great representation for
optimization (an exception might be if you have to perform
source-to-source transformations). If you want to do optimization, I
believe it's better to transform the parse tree into a flexible and
efficient internal form (perhaps like Litsios' data structures).

Consider an optimization like moving loop-invariant code outside a loop.
Using a parse tree, loops can have many explicit representations and
perhaps a few hidden ones (especially if your source language allows gotos
or recursion). It seems easier to translate all these parse tree forms to
a low-level form (something like assembly, with only unconditional jumps
and conditional branches for control flow) and use a single version of the
optimization to handle all kinds of loops.

Preston Briggs