Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction

knapp@cs.purdue.edu (Edgar Knapp)
Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:32:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Object Oriented Compiler Construction drh@world.std.com (1994-01-04)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction litsios@iis.ee.ethz.ch (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction knapp@cs.purdue.edu (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction chase@Think.COM (1994-01-05)
Re: Object Oriented Compiler Construction preston@dawn.cs.rice.edu (1994-01-06)
Object Oriented Compiler Construction clark@zk3.dec.com (Chris Clark USG) (1994-01-06)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: knapp@cs.purdue.edu (Edgar Knapp)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 14:32:18 GMT

drh@world.std.com (Richard Hipp) writes:

> I have a need to write a compiler in an OOP style using C++. I have some
> ideas of how to proceed, but am interested in first considering the ideas
> and experiences of others who have undertaken similar efforts.

I am teaching a graduate programming languages course at Purdue, and one
of my project assignments (the one on OOP) is a Guarded Command Language
interpreter in Oberon-2. The design is very much along the lines you
sketched. I'll be happy to provide a copy of the project description to
interested individuals.

The suite of Compiler Generation Tools known as GMD Tools (or Cocktail, as
of late) supports inheritance on the grammar level. The paper
"Object-Oriented Attribute Grammars" by Josef Grosch, one of the authors
of Cocktail, can be obtained via

ftp://cs.purdue.edu/pub/knapp/OOAttributeGrammars.ps.Z

Edgar

--
Edgar Knapp knapp@cs.purdue.edu
Purdue University (get PGP key and WWW URL via finger)