Sparc Architecture

lou@central.cis.upenn.edu (Richard Paul)
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 16:30:18 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SPARC code generation for compiler course mackey@cse.ucsc.edu (1993-12-10)
Re: SPARC code generation for compiler course salomon@silver.cs.umanitoba.ca (1993-12-13)
Sparc Architecture lou@central.cis.upenn.edu (1993-12-14)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: lou@central.cis.upenn.edu (Richard Paul)
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 16:30:18 GMT

I have just finished a book on SPARC Architecture which I use when I teach
the Introductory Computer Architecture course, I also use the book as a
reference when I teach the compilers course, in which we translate a
sub-set of C into SPARC assembly language.

"SPARC Architecture, Assembly Language Programming, and C," by Richard
P. Paul, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-876889-7.

SPARC architecture is covered from a programmer's perspective, making use
of UNIX tools (the macro processor m4; the assembler as; the gnu editor
emacs; and the debugger gdb). Frequent reference is made to C language
constructs and their translation. Chapters on floating point, traps,
memory management and other architectures provide optional course
material. All necessary reference material, including the SAPRC
instruction set, is provided in appendices. The text is suitable for a
one semester introductory course on computer architecture. It is also
suitable for programmers who will be programming SPARC architecture
machines in languages such as C and have concern with computational
efficiency.

Richard (Lou) Paul Department of Computer and Information Science
email: lou@cis.upenn.edu University of Pennsylvania
phone: 215/898-0372 Philadelphia, PA 19104-6228 fax:215/573-2048