SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces

David Spuler <spuler@cs.jcu.edu.au>
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 07:23:53 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces spuler@cs.jcu.edu.au (David Spuler) (1993-12-08)
Re: SUMMARY using Gnu's BFD library for stack traces norman@flaubert.bellcore.com (1993-12-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: David Spuler <spuler@cs.jcu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1993 07:23:53 GMT

In case you missed it, here is a summary of the original post:

# I'm trying to use Gnu's BFD (binary file descriptor) library to add
# program stack traces to a simple debug malloc library.
# The specific problems I'd like to solve using BFD are:
#
# 1) Provide a stack trace at the current point of execution
# 2) Determine if a given address is on the stack, static, heap, etc
# 3) Determine if a given address refers to a variable (if any)
# and extract its name (if available).

There was very little joy. I received 1 useful message saying
that gdb didn't use BFD for stack traces, and hence using BFD may
not be that helpful. I also received 3 "tell me too" requests.

Some time in the future I plan to hack out the stack trace part
of gdb, but naturally I'd hoped this had already been done
and I'm not sure how successful it will be anyway.
I'll let people know if I produce anything useful this way.

I would appreciate hearing any more information on portable or
non-portable methods of producing stack traces or any of the
above problems.

Regards,
David Spuler