Re: WANTED - info. on cross-progrmming-language translation

wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 09:35:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
WANTED - info. on cross-progrmming-language translation gary@intrepid.com (1993-11-16)
Re: WANTED - info. on cross-progrmming-language translation wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (1993-11-17)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1993 09:35:56 GMT

gary@intrepid.com (Gary Funck) writes:
=> 2) Do you know of any public domain toolsets that offer a general
=> framework for translation? Ideally what we'd like to see is something
=> that accepts an input grammar description (yacc syntax preferred), and a
=> method for describing parse-tree transformations, and methods for walking
=> the final tree and generating source code. (there are commercial
=> Pascal-to-C/Ada translators that claim to be 'rule based'; I assume they
=> have s general method for describing those rules.)

Hi Gary,

Once in a while I sound like a broken record, advertising this one tool:
Cocktail. It lets you build AST's quite simply, and transformations and
all kinds of other things are also nice and compact in the tools that come
with it. And note that Cocktail is currently commercially supported by
its author.

The other side of the deal is that I've written a PASCAL frontend using
Cocktail which generates the AST. It is not completely free PD, but you
can look at the code and the copyright. And even then can things be
discussed. The only thing currently not included is the carefull
administration for whitespace and comments, as you probably like to
preserve these.

Have a look at:
ftp.eb.ele.tue.nl:/pub/src/pascal/frontend.{tar.Z,zip}
(Which is going to be updated, once I've finished the new docs)

Willem Jan
--
Digital Information Systems Group, Tel: +31-40-473401, Fax: +31-40-448375
Room EH 10.35 Eindhoven University of Technology