Tech-reports from csie.nctu, Taiwan

pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw (Pei-Chi Wu)
Mon, 1 Nov 1993 02:21:41 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Tech-reports from csie.nctu, Taiwan pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw (1993-11-01)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw (Pei-Chi Wu)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 02:21:41 GMT

Technical Reports from:
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering
National Chiao-Tung University
Hsinchu 30050
Taiwan, Republic of China

The following reports are available in ftp server ftp.csie.nctu.edu.tw
Directory: /papers/general/pcwu
Files: CSIE-93-100?.ps.Z

Report CSIE-93-1003
Title: Integrating Generative and Compositional Techniques
in Compiler Construction
Authos: Pei-Chi Wu, Feng-Jian Wang, Jin-Hue Lin
software components.
ABSTRACT:
Compiler front-ends today are getting bigger and more complex than
ever before. Compiler designers need a software architecture that can
survive or be reused during evolution. There are two kinds of techniques
to approach software reuse: compositional and generative. Compositional
techniques are rarely explored in compiler domains. Generative techniques
have been applied well in some compiling tasks; however, few industrial
compilers adopt attribute grammars (AGs) for semantics analysis. In this
paper we propose a reuse approach that integrates both techniques. Our
approach adopts AGs as the backbone of compilers and employs reusable
components in AG specifications. AGs are extended as a reusable
specification method with modular constructs, remote access, and
collective computations. The mature domains such as symbol table handling
can be constructed as reusable components.

Report CSIE-93-1004
Title: A Semantics Specification Method for Compiler Construction
Authors: Pei-Chi Wu, Feng-Jian Wang
ABSTRACT:
Compiler front-ends today are getting bigger and more complex than
ever before. Generative (specification) techniques apply well in some
compiling tasks; however, techniques like attribute grammars (AGs) are
rarely adopted for semantics analysis by industrial compilers. In this
paper we extend AGs with modular constructs, remote access, collective
computations, and object-oriented views of tree nodes. The extension tries
to address the domain-specific patterns and to bridge the gap between AGs
and current object-oriented modeling. The presentation shows that AGs can
be tuned for practical usage and the extended AGs serve as a good backbone
for compiler construction. The proposed method evolves AGs to an
engineering tool for compiler construction.

Report CSIE-93-1005
Title: A Generalized Model of Remote Access for Attribute Grammars
Authors: Pei-Chi Wu, Feng-Jian Wang
ABSTRACT:
Semantics constraints of programming languages commonly introduce
long-distance relationships. Some extensions on attribute grammars (AGs)
have provided remote access constructs. In this paper, we propose a
generalized model of remote access for AGs. The model covers most remote
access extensions of AGs. A context-free grammar can be annotated with
tag systems, each of which maps an arc of a parse tree to a tag. A regular
expression of tags can then be used to describe a set of arc sequences,
i.e., a set of paths to reach remote nodes in a parse tree. Our
remote-dependency AG (R-AG) is an AG with generalized remote access in
attribution rules. An R-AG can be translated to an equivalent AG. For
proper use of remote access, we also propose a technique to analyze the
size of attribute set of a remote access. This technique can detect
anomalies in remote access.
--
Pei-Chi Wu (§d°ö°ò) e-mail: pcwu@csie.nctu.edu.tw
Inst. of C.S.I.E., Nat'l Chiao-Tung Univ.