Re: pointer elimination in C

Robin Popplestone <pop@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Fri, 22 Oct 1993 08:23:56 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
pointer elimination in C miller@crx.ece.cmu.edu (Karen Miller) (1993-10-05)
Re:pointer elimination in C ghiya@flo.cs.mcgill.ca (1993-10-06)
Re: pointer elimination in C donawa@bluebeard.cs.mcgill.ca (Chris DONAWA) (1993-10-10)
Re: pointer elimination in C doug@netcom.com (1993-10-19)
Re: pointer elimination in C pop@dcs.gla.ac.uk (Robin Popplestone) (1993-10-22)
Re: pointer elimination in C macrakis@osf.org (1993-10-22)
Re: pointer elimination in C henry@zoo.toronto.edu (1993-10-22)
Re: C ++ and -- hammondr@sungod.crd.ge.com (1993-10-22)
Re: pointer elimination in C mcdonald@kestrel.edu (1993-10-28)
Re: pointer elimination in C ted@crl.nmsu.edu (1993-10-29)
Re: pointer elimination in C rbe@yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (1993-11-01)

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: Robin Popplestone <pop@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 08:23:56 GMT

Karen Miller <miller@crx.ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>I am translating C into another language which does not implement pointers.

I would be interested to know what that language is - any serious language
-does- in effect provide pointers, but restricts the operations you can do
on them in the interests of hygene. LISP for example, provides almost
nothing but pointers - typically only short integers and possibly short
floats will not be pointers. Some languages (e.g. Pascal) separate the
notion of call-by-reference from that of pointers proper, with the idea of
limiting the ways in which a pointer can become invalid.

C was, as they would say in Congress, -very unique- in providing pointer
arithmetic. This simply reflected the fact that good compilers had to be
shoehorned into a tiny computer, the DEC-11, and there was a simple
one-to-one mapping between something like *x++ and one machine
instruction.

Robin Popplestone.