Wanted info. about debuggers.

uday@cse.iitb.ernet.in (Uday P Khedkar)
Tue, 5 Oct 1993 14:23:12 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
Wanted info. about debuggers. uday@cse.iitb.ernet.in (1993-10-05)
Re: Wanted info. about debuggers. vivek@wipro.wipsys.soft.net (1993-10-06)
Re: Wanted info. about debuggers. vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (1993-10-07)
Re: Wanted info. about debuggers. vern@daffy.ee.lbl.gov (1993-10-08)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: uday@cse.iitb.ernet.in (Uday P Khedkar)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 14:23:12 GMT

Can anyone supply information on "IEEE standards for debuggers"? To begin
with what exactly do they specify? The standards for "debuggers" or the
standards for "debugging"? I presume the latter would specify the kind of
information a compiler/linker should store in the executable code and may
prescribe a format for this informtion/file. The former may try to
standardize a debugger in terms of the facilities eg. breakpoints, reverse
execution, menu/window layout etc.

I am completely blank on this issue. I heard the term when someone requested
me to dig up the details. Any clues?

Any other information on debuggers, (the way debuggers are designed, how to
develop a source level debugger on top of an assembly level debuggers etc.)
would be most welcome.

Uday Khedker,
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering,
IIT Bombay, 400 076 India.

email : uday@cse.iitb.ernet.in
Phone : +91-22-578-2545 c/o x2701, x2702.
Fax : +91-22-578-3480.
Telex : 011-71385 IITB IN.
[I don't see any debugger standards in my copy of the IEEE standards
catalog. -John]