bison v byacc

richard@fiu.edu (Albert Chin-A-Young)
Tue, 28 Sep 1993 07:47:33 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Related articles
bison v byacc richard@fiu.edu (1993-09-28)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: richard@fiu.edu (Albert Chin-A-Young)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1993 07:47:33 GMT

I have been working on rewriting the bison y.tab.c file in assembly for
a low-powered CPU and then discovered byacc. Supposedly byacc will parse
faster than bison. If this is true, does anyone have some performance
timings on what improvment I can expect if I move from bison to byacc?

Albert
[I'd certainly expect byacc to be faster than bison, since the parser isn't
encrusted with a lot of extra crud. Why not spend an afternoon doing some
experiments and let us know what the relative speeds are. -John]