Re: incremental compilation via shared library

jeremy@suite.sw.oz.au (Jeremy Fitzhardinge)
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 05:35:37 GMT

          From comp.compilers

Re: incremental compilation via shared library brett@digits.enet.dec.com (1993-09-07)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pop@dcs.gla.ac.uk (pop) (1993-09-07)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pcg@decb.aber.ac.uk (1993-09-11)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library tmb@arolla.idiap.ch (1993-09-20)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (1993-09-20)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library pcg@aber.ac.uk (1993-09-21)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library jeremy@suite.sw.oz.au (1993-09-22)
Re: incremental compilation via shared library gym@dcs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Matthews) (1993-09-22)
| List of all articles for this month |

Newsgroups: comp.compilers
From: jeremy@suite.sw.oz.au (Jeremy Fitzhardinge)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 05:35:37 GMT

brent@jade.ssd.csd.harris.com (Brent Benson) writes:
>I'm disappointed with the dynamic object file loader available in our
>SVR4 port. dlopen() will load a shared object file and resolve
>references to symbols in the original executable, but it will not
>resolve references to symbols in other shared objects that were loaded
>at run-time. Is this typical of SVR4 ports? What is the reason for
>this restriction?

It seems like a common restriction. I'm not sure why, but it's possible
that it's because dlopen and friends were only implemented for doing
shared libraries, and weren't implemented in a very general way. I've
also found that even when you push at the corners of supported
functionality, there are quite obvious bugs (for example, on
SVR4.2/UnixWare/Univel doing a dlopen/dlsym from within a module that is
itself dlopened causes a SIGSEGV within dlsym, at least in the very simple
case I tried it in).

You may want to look at dld, which is a dynamic linker which allows
linking and unlinking of object files, and allows you to manipulate the
symbol table in interesting ways.

It only copes with a.out-type executable and object files, but it works on
a variety of systems from SunOS to Linux.

dld is under the FSF GPL, and the latest version I've seen is 3.2.2.